Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Traveling

     I took my middle son, Adam, back to school after his spring break.  On Sunday we drove to the ferry, then drove the rest of the way to his college, where he promptly ditched me.  I thought we would have dinner together but I guess he was anxious to get back to his college life.  I'm happy about that.
     I always feel so melancholy when my kids leave.  I wonder if that will ever change.
     Anyway, I used 4 modes of transportation for this trip: car, ferry, plane & train.  We drove to Orient Point, then took the Cross Sound Ferry to New London then drove the rest of the way to Northfield, VT. The next day Adam drove me to Burlington Airport, I flew to JFK then took the air train to Jamaica and the LIRR to Ronkonkoma where Steve picked me up.  I don't like flying, it seems unnatural to me, being above the clouds.  I especially don't like taking off and the only reason I like landing is because I'm landing and I'll be getting off the plane.  Because the flight from Burlington to JFK is so short, most of the time you are taking off and landing.  It seemed like there was just enough time to eat the tiny bag of peanuts and then we were descending.
     I can't complain though.  Each part of my trip went smoothly and I got to spend 7 1/2 hours with Adam.
 


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect way to bring your son back to school. That feeling blue when they're away, really never changes (my belief) but it gets better! I was lucky to have my daughter attened the U of Minnesota and live at home! (She claimed mostly that she couldn't live life without her cat!) ha ha. It was hard to let all three (2 boys 1 girl) out of our family's house now to each their own. But they are all married now, with children! We still all have sleep-overs, and family camping or vacations. My boys both had those gotta be free and off with my friends Mom, but now they take me to lunch or bike ride or whatever! Last week the MN. Zoo! My daughter always included me in everything (still pretty much does) so it was the hardest helping her move out. But children (we're all blessed to have) they love us to no end, in fact my oldest had two apartments that he really didn't sleep or eat in...just paid the rent and spent more hours back at home. We still have family dinners! That's key (really) can you believe it, they actually brag that their mom still cooks. So in the short of things, you just have to be available when they're ready, because you never ever get over saying good-bye...you always just look forward to the hello again. Have a great week and hey it's the first day of spring! Today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gees, see why I should never talk about kids! I looked back at my comment...wow....sorry I wrote so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is home for spring break now. I know just the feeling you're talking about! Also we've had to fly a lot because we're military, and on really long flights I start to feel like I've always been on the plane and will never get off, and will just look at the back of the same head for all eternity. It makes me very antsy.

    ReplyDelete